Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Starfish Gallery--final closing

It is with great sadness that I received the final e-newsletter from Starfish Gallery. They closed the doors at the end of December and the three main glass designers go onto other art projects. There will be a final sale (from the newsletter)

There will be three aspects to the contents of the sale. Firsts: some of our regular stock that we want to clear out at unprecedented discounts! Seconds: the usual accumulation of almost-good-enough pieces plus garden art, weird bits and blobs and the terrifying contents of “Gary’s room”. Junk: everything else that we want to clear out, miscellaneous non glass stuff such as display items, office equipment, wood, tools… ten years and 8600 square feet of accumulated stuff - come and get it!


Friday January 19, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm and…
Saturday January 20, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

At 630 Yates – the last time the building will be open to the public as Starfish!
terms will be cash and carry as usual. Call fax or e-mail for more info.

I'm going to try and get there Saturday but I'm sure the pickings will be slim. However, knowing Bernie and Paula I'm sure they will make a trek down, especially at the mention of tools. If either of them goes I hope they have the good sense to grab pieces of glass to give to their friends (ie: ME!!) for presents.

Ever since the first time I walked through Starfish Gallery's doors 9 odd years ago, I have had a respect for glass. I've taken out of town visitors to see shows and have stood in utter awe struck silence as pieces were formed in front of my very eyes. I've given three of my best Christmas presents from Starfish Gallery--the beautiful Christmas balls--one hangs in my parents condo, one hangs in my former friend/hairdresser's house and one is with a friend in Germany.

Victoria has lost a wonderful gallery and a venue that will be sorely missed.

No comments: